B, list;

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 12:52 PM, BHdeC <normandvik...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> JRiver
> > > and restart.
> > > I worked around for a test by resampling all to 192k and it worked.
> But I
> > > don't want to do that.
> > >

> > > I don't know about Jonas' problem, but B you might find that your
> software
> > is set to mix the last few seconds of the song currently playing with the
> > first few seconds of the following song.
> > >

> > Yes I thought about that before and set a gap of 1 second between tracks:
> > same result.
> > So I upgraded my kernel to the latest 3.14 on OpenSuse 13.1 and the
> behavior
> > is different.
> > I still can not play tracks with different sample rate but if I stop the
> > play with mediacenter and start it again, it works.
> >

> > What happens when you use aplay to play a (say) 44.1/16 and when it is
> done play a (say) 96/24?  Does that work?
> >
> > Back when I was using the Schiit through USB I had problems getting that
> transition to work.
> >
> > Also maybe try a different media player (I suggest Guayadeque because I
> know you can talk directly to Alsa and you can turn off the track
> "blending").
> >

> > It's far from perfect, but better an a way.
> > I see in messages this message when I try to play the first time:
> > linux-htpc kernel: [ 7476.413271] ALSA sound/usb/clock.c:391 current rate
> > 96000 is different from the runtime rate 44100
> >

> > You might want to look at the source above.  This rings a bell for me.
> You might see some code to do something like a stream close / open; maybe
> it's not happening with your device?
> >

> > When I stop the play:
> > linux-htpc kernel: [ 7576.789042] ALSA sound/core/pcm_native.c:1544
> playback
> > drain error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)
> > Then when I play again, it works fine without further logs.
> > The guys at JRiver think it is a firmware error. I doubt that.
> >

> > Erm... well there are other things to try before blaming the firmware.
> >

> > So I have no more idea in mind to carry on my investigation.
> >

> > -- Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" comC'est ma façon de
> parler.
> >

> Chris,
>
> That was a good idea. So I played 2 files with different sampling rate in
> one go with aplay and it worked no problem.
> The DAC displayed the correct sample rate and transitioned nicely. So my
> system can play 2 different files.
>
> For the error,
> I looked at the source and it seems like the driver is setting the new rate
> to the DAC via a USB control message, then ask for the rate back as a
> confirmation, but does not get what it set just.
>
> But there is a comment that "some devices do not respond to sample rate
> change while active" and they do something like a reset of the device but I
> am not sure.
>
> So IMO the problem lies in the player in my specific configuration.

Time to try guayadeque :-)

What you are saying rings a bell... ie that the application may need to
close and re-open in the event of a format change.  But I also suggest
taking a look at the alsa source.  Could be that your device needs a bit of
a tweak there to make that happen automagically...

I don't know much about JRiver but given that their source code is not
available one is not able to see what's going on under the hood.