A & list,

On Apr 28, 2014 7:51 PM, "A" <publicf...@bak.rr.com> wrote:

> On 04/28/2014 05:04 PM, chris hermansen wrote:
>>
>> A & list;
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM, A <publicf...@bak.rr.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble getting any sound from browsers - chrome & firefox
>>> (hulu, youtube); and also VLC; if I try to use my USB device.  amarok
>>> and jitsi work fine.
>>>
>>> Everything works if I use the Intel soundcard.
>>>
>>> Any ideas please?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance
>>>

>> A, the kernel you are using (3.2) did not work well for me through my
C-Media USB device (a Schiit Bifrost).

>> Maybe you should try a live cd version, say Ubuntu 14.04, with a much
newer kernel.

> Thank you for your response.  14.04 is still in beta at this time as I
understand it, and upgrading at this time is really not an option for me
right now.  12.04 is LTS for 5 years, good until 2017 I think.

> I hope someone else has a better solution?
>
> Thank you

A, 14.04 was released earlier this month and is no longer beta.

In any case, trying a live CD or live USB stick does not touch your
existing installation. You boot from the installation media and experiment
there, not touching your hard drive.

If you find a newer kernel works for you, you can move to a newer kernel
and stick with 12.04 if you wish - each Ubuntu release typically offers
some alternative (newer) kernels.

FWIW I am super happy with 14.04.