> How are you testing, exactly?
I am using the jackd server and choosing GT-100 as the device; the server
cannot start with the device.

> Does the same test setup work with a different USB audio device?
Yes, I am using a USB based Plantronic USB headset with the same exact
procedure as above and I am able to listen and record with this headset.

> This device should be handled by the generic Roland quirk.
Agreed. I am not able to locate this file under /usr/src/kernel/**my
version**/drivers/usb/core/quirks-table.h to modify the USB device ID as
shown below. I got the hint from
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.user/36297

{
        USB_DEVICE(0x0582, 0x0189),
        .driver_info = (unsigned long) & (const struct snd_usb_audio_quirk) {
                /* .vendor_name = "BOSS", */
                /* .product_name = "GT-100", */
                .ifnum = QUIRK_ANY_INTERFACE,
                .type = QUIRK_COMPOSITE,
                .data = (const struct snd_usb_audio_quirk[]) {
                        {
                                .ifnum = 1,
                                .type = QUIRK_AUDIO_STANDARD_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = 2,
                                .type = QUIRK_AUDIO_STANDARD_INTERFACE
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = 3,
                                .type = QUIRK_MIDI_FIXED_ENDPOINT,
                                .data = & (const struct
snd_usb_midi_endpoint_info) {
                                        .out_cables = 0x0001,
                                        .in_cables  = 0x0001
                                }
                        },
                        {
                                .ifnum = -1
                        }
                }
        }
},

> What about the firmware? Did you update the device, and now it doesn't
> work anymore as it did before?

I never really tried to record with the previous firmware -- So I am really
not sure if the input was functional. However I was able to play sound out
using the previous firmware.

> What's the suspected relation between the firmware and the issue you're
seeing?

Previously I didn't see the  Error: ALSA endpoint.c:786 Unable to change
format on ep #8e: already in use

I don't think I can revert back to the previous firmware anymore to check as
the fw updater utility prevents me.

I also notice that GT-100 bus id

Was "Bus 002 Device 014: ID 0582:014d Roland Corp."
but now is "Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0582:0189 Roland Corp."

.. leading me to believe something is not recognized and initialized
properly. So, is there anyway I can get the alsa quirk-kernel.h in my kernel
tree such that I can include the new ID and recompile the module? May be I
am on the wrong path here.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Thanks
George