At Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:33:28 +0300,
Nerijus Baliunas wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 17:23:43 +0200 Takashi Iwai <ti...@suse.de> wrote:
>
> > It's because the volume was overloaded in 3.14 and earlier.
>
> I suspected so, because in Windows I get a lower volume too.
>
> > It came through the mixer widget and it has the gain over 0dB.
> > If you set 100% amp in the pin and sets more than 0dB in the mixer,
> > it's basically more than 100%, overloading.
> >
> > That is, the new driver corrected the wrong volume setup.
>
> Is it possible to get the old volume level back by using a gnome/mate mixer
> (actually the volume buttons Fn+F7/F8)?

No, not in that way.  Also it's not good for your hardware.  It can
damage speakers easily.

If you still want it, you can touch directly the volume via hda-verb
command.  First, change "Loopback" mixer enum to "Enabled" (e.g. via
"alsamixer -c0").  Then change the amp of NID 0x17 to a higher value.
For example, to really full volume (0x2b, 0x14 is 0dB):
  hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x17 SET_AMP 0xb02b

But you were warned...

Takashi