I'm trying to get mplayer to play DVDs, running on top of an
Android kernel (since I couldn't find any Android applications who could
play DVDs straight from the drive).

So far, the video works, but the audio doesn't.  mplayer tells me:

   Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
   AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 384.0 kbit/25.00% (ratio: 48000->192000)
   Selected audio codec: [ffac3] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AC-3)
   [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1293:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p'
failed (-16): Device or resource busy
   [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Device or resource busy
   Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa:device=hw=0.0'
   Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
   Audio: no sound

Now, I don't know much about this kernel, but it does have some of the
expected ALSA files:

   # l /dev/snd/
   total 0
   crw-------. 1 root root 116,  0 jan  1  1970 controlC0
   crw-------. 1 root root 116, 16 jan  1  1970 pcmC0D0p
   crw-------. 1 root root 116, 33 jan  1  1970 timer
   #

But "amixer controls" shows nothing, and alsamixer tells me it finds
a card called RK-HDMI-I2S (the "RK" is probably because the SoC used is
a Rockchip), but with no controls whatsoever.

OTOH the dmesg tells me:

   [    1.140363] ALSA device list:
   [    1.140384]   No soundcards found.

Does someone have an idea what might be going on or how I could figure
it out?  The HDMI audio support in the kernel does work for Android
applications, but I know very little about what that means, when seen
from a GNU/Linux point of view (I'm running a Debian user-space on this
Android kernel).

        Stefan