On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 08:45:16 +0100, Clemens Ladisch
<cladi...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> John Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Only what it says about alsa-driver.
>>
>> But I still have to "$ ./configure" alsa-lib, alsa-utils and
>> alsa-firmware. Right?
>
> Only if you wanted to update those packages.

And do I want to update those packages in order to compile a snd-opl3sa2
kernel module that I can then modprobe into my system at boot time?

And do I have to do anything with alsa-driver? Or how can I get my hands
on such a snd-opl3sa2 kernel module?

>>> The snd-opl3-sa2 module.
>>
>> I don't have such a module available:
>> $ modinfo snd-opl3-sa2
>> ERROR: Module snd-opl3-sa2 not found.
>
> Sorry, it's actually named snd-opl3sa2.

That doesn't help either:
$ modinfo snd-opl3sa2
ERROR: Module snd-opl3sa2 not found.

Looks like I'll have to compile that module. But how?

>> What is the module "opl3" for?
>
> Its an OSS driver for OPL3 chips.
> But you want an ALSA driver for OPL3-SA2 chips.

Thank you for the clarification.