Ede Wolf wrote:
> /cat/proc/asound/cards:
>
>   0 [INTELHD        ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
>                        HDA ATI SB at 0xfe500000 irq 16
>   1 [HAMMERFALL     ]: RME9652 - RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5)
>                        RME Digi9652 (Rev 1.5) at 0xfd000000, irq 20
>   2 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
>                        HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfe460000 irq 51
>
> if I wanted to give the HDMI card a different index, what would I need
> to specify?
>
> options snd-hda-intel id=INTEL-HD enable=1 index=0
> options snd-rme9652 id=HAMMERFALL enable=1 index=1
>
> But, for HDMI, I have not found any driver.

The driver name comes directly after the colon.  Both the HDA controller
in the south bridge and the GPU's HDMI output use the snd-hda-intel
driver.

In this case, you have to give multiple options to the driver:

  options snd-hda-intel id=INTEL-HD,HDMI index=0,2

Please note that the index option does not prevent other drivers from
using that index; you should use the global slots option instead:

  options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-rme9652,snd-hda-intel

> is there any way to distinguish those two cards, like you can with usb
> and the device:id number?

The snd-hda-intel driver has no such option.

The easiest way to distinguish these device is to use their ID instead
of the card number (and this works best if you use the original ID):

  aplay -D plughw:SB something.wav
  aplay -D plughw:HDMI something.wav

Regards,
Clemens