Marve and list,

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:59 AM, marve <ma...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Some additional info, my Jack Retask settings:
>
> It seems that with Pin ID: 0x1e there is some response and this is the
> only pin that has SPDIF options. It detects 'Not Connected'
>
> The settings are:
>
> Connectivity: Internal
> Location: Rear
> Device: SPDIF Out
> Jack: Optical
> Color: Black
> Jack Detection: Present
> Channel group: 8 ( I have tried them all)
> Channel (in group): Back
>
> Anyone suggestions I could try?

You are using Jack and it's safe to say I don't know jack about that... but
a few things I can think of.

First, the setting "Channel (in group): Back" - that doesn't seem to be a
useful setting.  Wouldn't you want "Front" instead?

Second, I have spent endless hours futzing around with crappy intermittent
optical connectors and poorly-designed sockets.  Have you any other options
to try?

Third, when you send audio to the device, does the situation change?

Fourth, this is interesting though it talks about Pulse and Alsa
interactions and not Jack.
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/628

Fifth, this might be worth a look
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Getting_S.2FPDIF_output

Sixth, Dell did (does?) sell some XPS machines with Linux; does Dell have
any drivers for this?

That's it for me.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.