Hey,

On 21/08/2018 19:52, Andreas Böhler wrote:

> a few weeks ago I already wrote to this list regarding a recording issue
> with the Phonic Helix Board 12 Universal which could be resolved by
> using Jack as backend.
>
> This time, I need playback to work simultaneously and I've got some
> rather strange issues.
>
> On the desktop, I usually use PulseAudio as a sound server. For whatever
> reason, I can only play sound on this particular device while
> pavucontrol is running! If I close pavucontrol, about five seconds later
> sound is muted, i.e. I cannot hear anything while the player still plays.
>
> As soon as I open pavucontrol again, sound output is restored (it takes
> 2-3 seconds for the full volume to be restored, it is immediately
> audible on very low volume as soon as pavucontrol is opened).

To follow up on this: I posted to the pulseaudio-discuss list as well
and got an immediate reply from Takashi Sakamoto, who owns a device with
the same chipset [1] and was able to reproduce my issue.

According to him, it is a quirk in the device that needs fixing in the
driver. I'm quoting his reply here:

> When opening 'pavucontrol' or execute 'arecord', PCM substream is opened for
> capturing direction. Endpoint of the device is configured to tranmit data
> packet. Then, you can hear sound. This means that the device has a quirk in a
> point of generating sound.
>
> However, I can also see no quirk in a situation that:
> 1. stop any PCM substream relevant to the device at first
> 2. then start playback PCM substream
> 3. start no capture PCM substream
>
> This situation transits by starting/stopping capture PCM substream
> 4. start capture PCM substream
> (still hear sound)
> 5. stopping capture PCM substream
> (hear no sound even if playback PCM substream runs)
> 6. start capture PCM substream
> (hear sound again)
>
> Anyway, this is an issue of snd-usb-audio driver and a quirk of your
> device, irrelevant to pulseaudio. It's better to post to alsa-devel
> instead of pulseaudio-discuss.

I assume that a quirk could consist of having the PCM capture stream
*always* opened.

Could somebody guide me into fixing this, since I'm not very familiar
with the Linux audio subsystem.

Thanks,
Andreas

[1]