I've successfully built a VirtualBox instance, based on Ubuntu, for use under
Vagrant.  Now I'd like to set up ALSA to use the host's audio output system.
Making things more complicated, the host could be running Linux, macOS,
Windows, or ???  Anyway, when I try to run speaker-test, I get the following
output:

  vagrant@perkify-make:~$ speaker-test

  speaker-test 1.1.8

  Playback device is default
  Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
  Using 16 octaves of pink noise
  ALSA lib confmisc.c:767:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
  ALSA lib conf.c:4568:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver
returned error: No such file or directory
  ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
  ALSA lib conf.c:4568:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned
error: No such file or directory
  ALSA lib confmisc.c:1246:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
  ALSA lib conf.c:4568:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned
error: No such file or directory
  ALSA lib conf.c:5047:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or
directory
  ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
  Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

I'm hoping that this is just a simple configuration problem and that there is a
command-line way to resolve it.  However, I'm totally new to ALSA, so it's
quite possible that the problem is deeper than that.  So, the following
questions may be rather naive.  That said:

Q: Is ALSA capable of being used in a VirtualBox machine?

Q: Would it require different settings for each host OS?

Q: Is there a relevant command-line tool or config file?

Any other helpful clues, comments, and suggestions are solicited.

-r