From: Rob Reynolds
Sent: 2/25/2012 9:52 AM
To: chocolatey
Subject: [chocolatey] Guidance on packaging apps that have both a .zip/exe
and an install option AKA Starting to move towards virtual packages

TLDR;

One of the thoughts I've been considering recently with chocolatey is
consistency with packages and naming conventions as chocolatey continues to
grow. It's fine to name packages by the app/tool name, that's both
intuitive and expected. What I am more interested in is when an application
has multiple installation options (ie. an MSI and a ZIP). It can become
confusing for people to install these when they don't know what they are
getting if they call a package that has both. If you start with one that
has a .zip and later they release an MSI (nodejs anyone?), what do you call
the package that installs the MSI? Do you keep around the executable? Do
you rename the original package in response to the other option? Is there a
third option?

*One Option*

If there is only one option available, you are fine to make the package
name the same as the application/tool. This makes it intuitive and reduces
confusion.

*Multiple Options*

To start putting together guidance on this and alleviate confusion, I see
that we would move forward in these cases with three packages. One with no
suffix, one with ".install" suffix, and one with ".commandline" suffix.

If you would take a quick look at 7zip (
http://chocolatey.org/packages?q=7zip), you will notice there are three
packages here.

   - 7zip is what will ultimately be a virtual package
   - 7zip.install is the package name for a package that uses a native
   installer (i.e. MSI, exe)
   - 7zip.commandline is the package name for a package that has an
   executable / downloads & unpacks an archive / etc

7Zip right now is taking a dependency on 7zip.install (which makes it a
meta package). When virtual packages (see Virtual Packages below) are
ready, that dependency will be removed and the chocolateyinstall.ps1 file
will look something like the following (this is not definitive of what it
will look like though):

Install-VirtualPackage '7zip.commandline' '7zip.install'

You will notice I put the ".commandline" ahead of ".install". In the end, I
think the behavior of a virtual package should default to a command line
version. Why? There are folks that do not have administrative access to
their machines. Chocolatey is really nice for them because they can install
and use chocolatey without ever needing to assert administrative
privileges. Marcel Hoyer (https://twitter.com/pixelplastic) first proposed
the idea of being able to use chocolatey without administrative privileges.
Him and I took pains to make chocolatey work for these scenarios. This did
complicate chocolatey a little bit for the package maker, but in the end I
think it is a really good thing. As a person inspecting a package to decide
whether to install or not, they can see every point that the package maker
mentioned they needed administrative privileges.

That said, the default will be the one on the leftmost side. You are
beholden to the community in justifying why you didn't put the command line
version first if you decide not to in the virtual package. But chocolatey
won't constrain you on that because you may have a really good reason.

*App Now has Multiple Options*

When an application/tool moves to where it has multiple options, like an
installer it didn't use to have, that's when it is time to break the
package out to a virtual (meta for now until virtual is available) and
create the other two packages with the correct suffixes as outlined in the
guidance above.

*Virtual Packages*

For those confused about the idea of a virtual package, it allows folks to
say I need to take a dependency on a PDFReader. PDFReader becomes a virtual
package that does nothing other than point to all of the different pdf
readers available. When someone installs the package that has a dependency
on PDFReader, chocolatey looks at the virtual options and sees you have
adobereader installed (one of the options in the list). So it moves on
because you have met the virtual package requirements. If you have
foxitreader installed, it moves on. Otherwise it picks the first item in
the virtual tree and installs it as the default. More information?
https://github.com/chocolatey/chocolatey/issues/7

*Virtual Packages vs Meta Packages*

A meta package is one that points to other packages. If you think of a
package that does nothing more than take on dependencies to other packages,
that is a meta package. A virtual package is like a meta package, except it
has the concept of optional dependencies.

*Ending Thoughts*

This seems to be on the surface the best way to provide an intuitive user
experience. There may be some things we learn along the way and adjust this
as we go. If you are a package owner and you have packages that have both
options, you may want to start getting them into this format. I myself have
some work to do in this aspect.

Thoughts?

____
Rob