Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for your comments, please see inline.

From: alto [mailto:alto-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Y. Richard Yang
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 11:46 PM
To: 邓灵莉/Lingli Deng
Cc: IETF ALTO
Subject: Re: [alto] FW: New Version Notification for
draft-deng-alto-p2p-ext-02.txt

Hi Lingli, Sebastian, Haibin,

Interesting doc!  I am wondering the possibility of you adding an overview
section to discuss the potential types of end point properties and your design
guidelines so that we have a better understanding of the design:

- For example, I do not have a feeling that the properties that the current
draft defined are relatively complete. What is the potential set of properties
and why you choose the ones?

[Haibin] This is a very interesting question and should be seriously
considered. We chose the ones in the draft due to people usually consider them
for peer selection, and they were discussed during the early stage of ALTO
working group.

- One can convey the properties in multiple ways. For example, the current
draft defines p2p_caching as a boolean. Another design possibility is to define
a generic type with values including "p2p_cache", "super_peer", ...

[Haibin] Yes. We need to choose one representation type. If several properties
can be classified into one class, I agree one generic type name for the class
(and then define the values) would be better.

As another example we consider volume related property. The current draft
defines a boolean. Another alternative is to use an numeric value of the exact
cap.

[Haibin] I'm not sure on this one. A user with 1G bytes and another user with
100M bytes mobile traffic quota might  have the same strong will to not use his
upload traffic.

Another example is access network type. I saw the previous discussion on issues
that technology types become obsolete and hence the change to avoid use them.
One comment is that knowing network type can provide information about
behaviors that an application may use -- Sebastian's comment has alluded to
this as well. For example, by knowing that the end point is on an UMTS network,
an application can understand that it will have the RRC statement machine
running (DCH to FACH after 5 sec idle and FACH to IDLE after 12 sec idle) and
hence the implications on power consumption as well as techniques to reduce
energy (e.g., http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~fengqian/paper/thesis.pdf).

[Haibin] Interesting idea, one question is, how can we assume that each
application endpoint will easily understand that network type? IMHO, an
application endpoint might prefer to choose sources with one access type than
another. But if we want that endpoint to deeply understand that access type
behaviors, it will be complicated?

Is there a guiding principal that guides the selection and the approach of you
define the properties (e.g., minimal information, no redundancy)?

[Haibin] Now mainly choose the common properties that were discussed, but will
think about it.

Also, the updated charter defines a set of 4 questions that one may evaluate.
It can be helpful if you discuss them when defining each property.

[Haibin] Good suggestion. We will analyze them in the next revision.

Thank you again, Richard!
-Haibin

Richard

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 6:32 AM, 邓灵莉/Lingli Deng <denglin...@chinamobile.com>