Hi Jensen,

Thanks for starting this thread. It is great that you are thinking of
similar questions as I was :)

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 9:03 PM Jensen Zhang <jingxuan.n.zh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would like to make some comments on the 3rd recharter item.
>
> This item is going to propose YANG data models for ALTO configuration and
> management. Most of this kind of YANG data models for communication protocols
> like PCEP [1] and HTTP [2] will support both client and server configuration.
> One of the open issues for ALTO is:
>
> whether we should also provide the data model for the ALTO client
> configuration.

If the ALTO client is a function that can be placed in an entity that
uses YANG-based techniques for configuration, status check, and
monitoring. It makes sense for us to provide support for ALTO-client
in YANG model. Some of the use-cases you are already highlighting
below. For some like P2P tracker not soo much!

> For some of the traditional ALTO use cases like p2p, I think the YANG data
> model only for the ALTO server is enough. It can help the network operator
> easily configure and manage ALTO services. The data model for the ALTO client
> may not be necessary because the client is usually not under the control of
> the network operator. However, there are two cases where people may be
> interested in the data model for the ALTO client:
>
> 1. The multi-domain setting is a potential use case. But it depends on how we
> are going to design the server-to-server communication.
>
>   (a) If we are going to reuse the current ALTO framework, then the
> architecture could be similar to the PCE-based architecture, i.e., each ALTO
> domain should initiate an entity that can be an alto-server, alto-client, or
> alto-server-and-client. And for the alto-client or alto-server-and-client
> entity, the operator could configure the list of peered
> alto-server/alto-server-and-client entity directly, or how to discover the
> peers. The operator could also configure which information the client entity
> is interested in and would like to fetch from the peers.
>
>   (b) If we are going to completely redesign the communication protocol among
> ALTO servers, we may need specific data models for the configuration of this
> new protocol. The traditional roles of the ALTO client and server may no
> longer be applicable.

Yes the YANG needs to follow whatever decision is taken regarding the
ALTO server-to-server communication. There is also a high-level
decision that if we have a single YANG model for ALTO that can be used
by both client and server or have independent yang models: one for
client and another for server.

BTW RFC 7971 includes this -

       Cascaded servers: An ALTO server may itself include an ALTO
       client and query other ALTO servers, e.g., for certain
       destinations.  This results is a cascaded deployment of ALTO
       servers, as further explained below.

> 2. The other use case could come from the network-application integration.
> More specifically, the multi-service operator (e.g., Comcast, Telefonica) who
> can offer both application service (e.g., TV, CDN) and network service can be
> an example. In such a case, the application service operator may have some
> collaboration with the network operator on the protocol configuration level.
>
>   For example, in a CDN-ISP collaboration setting (@Luis can comment on it),
> the CDN operator may request the network operator to install a new ALTO
> service to compute on-demand ALTO information resources based on new
> parameters dynamically. And in the meantime, the CDN operator may also
> configure its own ALTO client to periodically send requests to the new ALTO
> service or use the pub/sub mechanism (e.g. SSE). And the CDN operator may
> want the ALTO client to report some operational status/statistics like when
> the last request is done, whether the last response is out-dated, how many
> versions are updated for the current information resource (Not quite sure if
> this info should be in the scope of the ALTO data model). It makes more sense
> to do these kinds of things via the configuration protocol instead of another
> ALTO protocol extension.

Using the YANG model for monitoring purposes (status, error,
statistics) at the ALTO client/server is quite useful.

Thanks,
Dhruv