Hi Qin,

Thanks. These issues really deserve further consideration. Please see inline.

Regards,

Peng

Peng Liu | 刘鹏

China Mobile | 移动研究院

mobile phone:13810146105

email:  liupeng...@chinamobile.com

发件人: Qin Wu

时间: 2021/07/23(星期五)21:31

收件人: LUIS MIGUEL CONTRERAS MURILLO;Peng Liu;alto;

主题: RE: [alto] A new draft draft-liu-alto-can-usecase-00 for discussion and
comments

Hi Peng,

Thanks for sharing. Looking at the figure of the CAN framework I can see
depicted multiple  components interacting with the ALTO server: Service
Orchestration, Computing OAM, Routing Management and Resource Management. This
brings to my mind a number of questions:

 -          Do you foresee an individual interaction per component with the
ALTO Server? If so, what would be the specific interaction per component  and
to what extend such interaction would imply some extension?

[Qin Wu] Good question, let me ask authors in a different angle

 1.       Can we have one single protocol to collect both network information
and compute information

[PL] Yes, extending BGP may be an option, or the network probe packet carrys
computing information. Both require the service node to expose the
corresponding information to the gateway.

 2.       or we still use different protocol to collect network information and
compute information but, we could use one single protocol e.g.,  ALTO protocol
to expose both network information and compute information to the application?

The problem, how we can make sure the network information and compute
information are synchronized if these  information change over time?

[PL] If the network and computing information are colleted to Alto through
different protocols, it is difficult to maintain absolute synchronization
unless time stamps and other information are added, but this may require time
synchronization of all the network nodes and the service nodes, which will
cause some additional expenses. The accuracy of synchronization will affect the
quality of service, and the demands of applications should also be considered.

 -          Would not be more practical to consider a single ALTO Client as
part of the Computing and Network Management Layer aggregating all the
requests towards the ALTO Server? This also could decouple the solution from a
specific CAN architecture

 -          In the scheduling section, you mention the possibility of
retrieving real time information. How far the information could be “real-time”?
 I mean, in the way ALTO works (i.e., collecting information from protocols
such BGP with certain timers) the notion of “real-time” could be relative.
Would the aging of that information sufficient to ensure the “real-time” needs?
Would it be needed any other  mechanisms to shorten the period of information
refreshment?

Best regards

Luis