Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-19: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

DISCUSS:

Thank you for the work put into this document. Please bear with my lack of
knowledge about ALTO in general.

Please find below one trivial blocking DISCUSS points (probably easy to
address), some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be appreciated
even if only for my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Jan Seedorf for the shepherd's write-up about the WG
consensus (even if not using the usual template).

I have appreciated the "operational considerations" section as it addresses
many questions that popped up during reading the document; notably, how can the
ALTO server measure any metric between the ALTO client and a resource.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== DISCUSS ==

-- Section 4.1.3 --
A very trivial DISCUSS to fix: this document relies on RFC 8312 to specify how
TCP throughput is estimated but RFC 8312 does not appear in the normative
reference list (this will probably generate a down ref though).

COMMENT:

== COMMENTS ==

Minor regret about the examples as they are all about the IPv4 address family
especially in a world of happy eyeballs where the IPv4 and IPv6 paths may still
have different performance metrics.

-- Section 2.1 --
Should the figure 1 use "perf monitoring tools" rather than "management tool" ?

-- Section 4 --
This section title is about 'bandwidth' but the first sub-section is about
'throughput', while these concepts are related they are also distinct. How can
the reader reconciliate them ?

-- Section 4.1 --
Is the intent of ALTO to only work for TCP and not for other transport
protocols ? I.e., is QUIC out of scope ?

-- Section 4.2.3 --
Where are those 'tunnels' in "by subtracting tunnel reservations " coming from
? Probably about RSVP-TE but what is the link with ALTO ? (Again I am not
familiar with ALTO so this may be an uneducated question).

== NITS ==

-- Section 3.1.3 --
Probably tedious to do but why not replacing "TBA" by the actual value in the
examples for 'content-length' ?