I'm off to Black Rock on Thursday. Not sure I'll be able to replace it by
then.
(I'm assuming it would be hard to find the right battery locally)

My first thought it to go to Radio Shack and get a 3 x AA or 3 x AAA battery
holder ( ~ 4.5V) clip the connect off the LiPo (leaving ~ 1 inch or so of
wire) and solder the
(LiPo) connecter leads to the AA/AAA battery holder leads.

Anyone want to chime in on whether AAA's will be big enough?

Also,  I guess I should be concerned about battery internal resistance.
Will 3 standard alkaline
batteries in series be able to provide enough current to light the
e-matches?

RE over-charge:

Can that happen using the TeleMetrum to do the charging?