From: Bdale Garbee <bd...@gag.com>
To: burnwuf...@aol.com; Altus Metrum <altusmetrum@lists.gag.com>;
altusmetrum@lists.gag.com <altusmetrum@lists.gag.com>
Sent: Mon, Apr 26, 2021 8:25 pm
Subject: Re: [altusmetrum] Does Telemetrum play well with other altimeters for
redundant dual-deploy?

burnwuf...@aol.com writes:

> Also saw a video about a "lightning bug" dual-deploy altimeter
> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IroVZC5ZbF4&t=10s) that uses a
> step-up transformer to produce an arc that lights charges without
> e-matches.  Interesting, but I wonder how well that would work with a
> Telemetrum in the same rocket.

That's a great question!  The short answer is we don't know.

Because the ignition process is basically the same as an old-school arc
transmitter in the radio world, we can guess that during the actual pyro
firing there's a burst of radio noise across a broad frequency range.

I'd be surprised if that causes any "harm" to an Altus Metrum product
nearby, and if you're doing the usual things like twisting leads to
switches and match terminals, I wouldn't expect the induced noise to
cause any unexpected pyro events, etc.  But there's just no substitute
for actual ground testing!

I see that Apogee sells these, so perhaps give them a call and ask what
they think they know about the product?

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Electronics-Payloads/Altimeters/Lightning-Bug-Dual-Deployment-Altimeter

Bdale