I am getting these error messages.  I am working around the problem by
manually loading the tape into the drive (an ADIC FastStor 22).

I think the problem is actually an MTX problem because of the following:

kite!backup 232# mtx -f /dev/tape-changer unload
Unloading Data Transfer Element into Storage Element 8...mtx: Request
Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 3B
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 90
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
mtx: MOVE MEDIUM from Element Address 82 to 8 Failed
kite!backup 233#

However, I can use mtx to load the tape into the drive.  Anybody have
any advice?

--
Jeff Silverman, sysadmin for the Research Computing Systems (RCS)
University of Washington, School of Engineering, Electrical Engineering Dept.

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
WARNING: /bkup: only 19389024 KB free (31457280 KB requested).
amcheck-server: slot 8: date 20001021 label ssli-007 (active tape)
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
amcheck-server: slot expr:: no tape online
ERROR: label ssli-008 or new tape not found in rack.
       (expecting tape ssli-008 or a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test.
Server check took 23.712 seconds.

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
ERROR: canard: [access as backup not allowed from [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
ERROR: kite: [PC SHARE //peacock/WEBTALK access error: host down or invalid password?]
ERROR: kite: [PC SHARE //peacock/C access error: host down or invalid password?]
WARNING: parrot: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 26 hosts checked in 30.802 seconds, 4 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.1p1)
Tue Oct 24 16:26:31 PDT 2000