A question, tangentially related to an earlier one of mine.

I want to do an occasional run of amanda with only full backups, which
should be independent of the normal cycle.  (It's for offsite storage.)
I've set up an amanda configuration for it.  I already know that the
listed-incremental directory can't be set per-configuration, and I know
the ways suggested to work around it: make the directory a symlink that
moves appropriately, or have N different amanda installations.  I am going
to have to make a couple of amanda installations already, for other
rotations.  But I don't want to have to have a special installation just
for this one.  Is there some set of options that will prevent amanda from
using --listed-incremental at all?  A casual glance at the source implies
not, but I'm not sure.  For instance, it seems that `record no' should
have this effect.  Unfortunately, in my environment it's hard to
experiment without interfering with the existing backups.

Also, here's a couple of wishlist items.

- Make listed-incremental dirs a per-configuration setting.

- Make amandad able to talk to more than one amdump at a time without
getting confused (as the docs imply is now the case).

It looks like these would require protocol changes.  If I were
hypothetically to work on implementing these, would there be any official
interest?

--
Nate Eldredge
HMC CS Staff