In the disklist I have an entry like this:

my.samba.server.here.com //ntsystem/chasm user-tar

But when running amcheck, I get this result:

Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
/usr/dumps/amanda: 11852627 KB disk space available, that's plenty.
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test.
Tape DailySet1-000 label ok.
Server check took 0.043 seconds.

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: my.samba.server.here.com: [can not access //ntsystem/chasm
(//ntsystem/chasm): No such file or directory]
ERROR: my.samba.server.here.com: [SMBCLIENT program not available]
Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.101 seconds, 2 problems found.

I double checked the samba connection, with this command:

smbclient //ntsystem/chasm mypassword -U backup

And it let me right in.

The amanda system (with the tape drive) is also the samba
server.

The /etc/amandapass file contains this line:

//ntsystem/chasm mypassword

I assume that it is using the user 'backup' but I'm not sure. I installed
it onto this FreeBSD system via the FreeBSD ports, so I never got
a chance to run configure --with-samba-user.

Any ideas what could be wrong?