> >I'm new to Amanda and I cannot compile it. ./configure says to me:
> >"can't guess host type. you have to specify one". I plan to use
> >amanda 2.4.1.p1 on a RedHat 6.1 system. Thanks in advance.
>
> And are you building it on "a RedHat 6.1 system"?  What does "uname
> -a" say?

Yes, I'm building it on RedHat 6.1, too. uname says:
Linux [name] 2.2.12.32 #1 [date] i686 unknown.
I've tried it with the option
--host=Linux or
--host=i686-unknown-Linux
Now configure says:
checking host system type... Invalid configuration 'Linux': machine
'Linux'
and stops with the error: C compiler cannot create executables

The rest of the process is listed above. A big thx for help in
advance.

Olaf

checking host system type...
checking target system type...
checking build system type...
checking config.cache system type... same
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for non-rewinding tape device... /dev/null
checking for raw ftape device... /dev/null
checking for Kerberos and Amanda kerberos4 bits... no
checking for gcc... gcc

*****
This machine, target type , is not known
to be fully supported by this configure script.  If the
installation of Amanda on this system succeeds or needed
any patches, please email [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
the patches or an indication of the sucess or failure of
the Amanda installation on your system.
*****

checking whether aclocal can find libtool macros... no
checking for ar... /usr/bin/ar
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gawk command line variable assignment... yes with -v
checking for bison... no
checking for byacc... no
checking for cat... /bin/cat
checking for compress... /usr/bin/compress
checking for dd... /bin/dd
checking for egrep... /bin/egrep
checking for getconf... /usr/bin/getconf
checking for gnuplot... /usr/bin/gnuplot
checking for grep... /bin/grep
checking for gtar... /bin/gtar
checking for gzip... /bin/gzip
checking for Mail... /usr/bin/Mail
checking for mt... /bin/mt
checking for chio... no
checking for chs... no
checking for mtx... no
checking for lpr... /usr/bin/lpr
checking which flag to use to select a printer... -P
checking for pcat... no
checking for perl5... no
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for sh... /bin/sh
checking for ufsdump... no
checking for dump... /sbin/dump
checking whether /sbin/dump supports -E for estimates... no
checking for ufsrestore... no
checking for restore... /sbin/restore
checking for xfsdump... no
checking for xfsrestore... no
checking for vxdump... no
checking for vxrestore... no
checking for vdump... no
checking for vrestore... no
checking for large file compilation CFLAGS... -
D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
checking for large file compilation LDFLAGS...
checking for large file compilation LIBS...
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -
g        ) works... no