I have a similar changer, and wrestled with the config as well. As I
understand the 'changerfile' line in the amanda.conf, it is a prefix for
several files used to control the useage.

changer-access
changer-clean
changer-slot
changer-status... in my case,

I compiled mtx, then fought with the chg-mtx script, before I found that
the chg-zd-mtx script already had the syntax I needed.

My changer.conf file...  I am still unable to get it to use more than 6
slots of my 12 slot magazine.

#From newsgroup postings, using /dev/st1
# Tony Traylor 20000905
number_configs  1
eject           1       # Tapedrives need an eject command
sleep           5       # Seconds to wait until the tape gets ready
cleanmax        20      # How many times could a cleaning tape get used
changerdev      /dev/st1
#
# Next comes the data for drive 1
#
config  0
drivenum 0
dev     /dev/nst1 # Tne drive that is used for the tapedrive0
startuse 1 # The slots assoc w/drive0
enduse  12 #
statfile        /usr/home/amanda/<config>/changer-slot # the 'changer' is
the prefix from 'changerfile' parameter.
cleancart       12 # cleaning cart location, -1 means none
cleanfile       /usr/home/amanda/<config>/changer-clean # records
usagecount      /usr/home/amanda/<config>/changer-access # records

Tony Traylor.

On 11/6/00, 5:49:04 AM, Yann PURSON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote regarding
HP 1557A configuration: