i have implimented dump on to my linux machines, but for some reason, one
of my linux boxes does not want to back up using dump.  it is running
slackware 7.0, and it only has a 500 meg partition.  this is the error
message generated:

FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:

/-- moxa       hda2 lev 0 FAILED [/sbin/dump returned 3]
sendbackup: start [moxa:hda2 level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/sbin/dump
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/sbin/restore -f... -
sendbackup: info end
|   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Fri Nov 17 02:57:38 2000
|   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
|   DUMP: Dumping /dev/hda2 (/) to standard output
|   DUMP: Label: none
|   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
|   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
|   DUMP: estimated 413195 tape blocks.
|   DUMP: Volume 1 started at: Fri Nov 17 02:57:54 2000
|   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
? /dev/hda2: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
while converting
directory #122401
?
sendbackup: error [/sbin/dump returned 3]
\--------

does this mean anything to anyone?  i have two other slackware 7.1 boxes
that have no trouble backing up.  all three are using the same version of
dump (the latest version on sourceforge, dump-0.4b20).

thanks
brian