David Wolfskill wrote:

> >Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:52:54 -0500
> >From: Michael Lea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything about it.
> >My understanding of the way that amanda works is that it streams the
> >dump file to the holding disk on the tapehost, and then that gets written to
> >the tape.  In my case, an x86 linux box is the tapehost, and it backs up
> >some solaris boxes.  So my question is, what happens when it's backing
> >up a filesystem that is larger than the 2gb filesize limit?  I have run
> >into that problem trying to restore a large solaris filesystem dump, how
> >does it backup large filesystems like that?
>
> That's what the "chunksize" specification (for a given holding disk) is
> for in the amanda.conf -- to break up the backup image into pieces that
> are manageable on the OS & file system in question.  (The chunks get
> concatenated when the image is written to tape, so there is -- for now,
> anyway -- no way to tell how many chunks the image was originally
> written in.  This is a Good Thing, because that way, the "chunking"
> cannot interfere with the recovery process.)

        I think the oriiginal question was rather regarding restore of
a large FS on Linux box. Normally you dont have to worry about that
because
you don't have to restore the backup image - you just pipe the stream
from the
tape to tar program that extract files on the fly.
The only problem I can see here is large files (if any) inside of the
archive. Then it will be a problem and you only can do it on foreign
solaris filesystem
by piping the stream to there through, for example,  ssh.
        Also you can try to find unofficial Linux kernel patch for large files
support.
Some server hardware vendors (Dell for example) ship RH Linux CD with
the patch applied.
Also RH Linux Enterprise has it in place too.

        Hope this helps...

--

    Yuri Pismerov, TUCOWS.COM INC.      (416) 535-0123  ext. 352

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature