John,

Thanks for your help.  After removing 2.4.1p1 and re-installing 2.4.2 I was
able to get it working.  That beautiful amber light is flashing away on my
Exabyte.

I did however, have to create many directories and files and assign
permissions to get it going.  Is this because the distributions are so
different that those items can't be done?  I don't know anything about
Solaris but I was under the impression that the directory structure or Linux
distributions are failrly similar to Unix distributions.

At least this time, my third run at it, the placement of the directories
seemed to make more sense to me and I revised the locations of the ones I had
super-sluethed before to the base of /usr/local/...  I am going to revise my
notes for this process, for posterity, as I know this will not be the last
time I see this problem.  I guess I am still surprised at how extensive the
"post install" work is to make this functional.

Dang.  It failed.  Hmmmmm.  Says I ran out of tape.  That cain't be right.
Probably a tape problem.  Thanks again!

(to be continued ....)