On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Fredrik Persson P (QRA) wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Thanks to those of you who helped me getting a backup for an oracle database
> working.
>
> Now, the solution to copy the db files to a temp storage and then have
> amanda back up from there was good - it works! There is a problem however,

Ouch. You'll need a lot of space which will be wasted while not holding
the copied data files. I haven't seen part 1 but why not simply
put all of the tablespaces into hot backup mode. Backup the data files
and archivelogs normally and then backup the control files last or
alternatively back the control files to trace?

Just make sure you have plenty of archivelog space for transactions which
hit the database during the backup.

In addition you should do a database export; You're more likely to have a
developer drop a table by mistake than have a disk fail and it's much
easier to get data back from an export.

Now, if you want some redundancy *and* faster backups then you could put
the database on a raid 1 mirror. When it comes to do the backup, break the
mirror and mount the broken mirror somewhere. Backup the broken mirror
rather than the live database. Once the backup is done, unmount and resync
the mirror. Make use of all the wasted temp space. I don't think the linux
md driver is up to this but some of the newer stuff might be.