Hello,

We have an office full of machines mostly running Storm Linux (Debian
Potato based).  Our Amanda server is running Amanda version
2.4.1p1.  Several people in the office have upgraded their machines to
Debian Woody and Amanda no longer backs them up. An example of the error
message in the daily mail report is as follows:

/-- nheron     /home/nheron lev 0 FAILED [/sbin/dump returned 1]
sendbackup: start [nheron:/home/nheron level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/sbin/dump
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/gzip -dc |/sbin/restore -f... -
sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
sendbackup: info end
? You can't update the dumpdates file when dumping a subdirectory
sendbackup: error [/sbin/dump returned 1]
\--------

The clients are running amanda-client version 2.4.1p1-12 and dump version
0.4b20-1.  I notice the dump version is different between Woody and Potato
(0.4b16-1) but even downgrading to the Potato version didn't help.  There
are lots of strange things that happen when upgrading to Woody but
everything seems to be running fine now.  There is probably something that
should be running that is not, however, and I don't have much experience
running Amanda and don't know where else to look to solve the problem. Any
help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Owain

|  Owain Davies                    |  Storm Linux                    |
|  Internal Systems Administrator  |  Its time to close the Windows  |
|  Stormix Technologies Inc.       |  http://www.stormix.com/        |