On Dec  4, 2000, Chris Karakas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So the idea is to give us the chance to write our own "estimator
> function": a script that gets a filename, a date and/or a backup level
> (and perhaps also other parameters) as input and gives a boolean as
> output ("yes, it should be backed up" or "no, it shouldn't").

That's exactly what the `sendsize' program is.  You'll even find hooks
for a `calcsize' program in there.  Of course, you can modify it so as
to call whatever other program you want, but using the wrapper script
suggested by JJ is far easier, at least before the DUMPER API is
implemented.

Note that you don't have to replace GNU tar with the script: just
configure Amanda so that it uses your replacement script as if it were
GNU tar and you're done.