On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 07:59:51AM +0100, Olaf Seidel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now I run my first tests, Amanda backing up all the servers. I've
> used the two dumptypes "nocomp-user" and "nocomp-root" (I
> changed nothing in these dumptypes) with no compression. When
> I watch the processes on the Amanda-Server, there are processes
> "/bin/gzip --best" owned by the Amanda-User. Where do they
> come from? Aren't the dumptypes without software compression?

This is normal, if you turned on indexing. Amanda
runs somethinglike

or

in parallel to putting the stream on tape.
tar tf is run on the client and the gzip on the backup server.

If you have dumptypes with compression, you will find gzip processes
on the client. (except you use compress server, see amanda(8))

 Ciao
   Dietmar

--
 Alles Gute / best wishes            phone:  +49-521-96751-19
     Dietmar Goldbeck                E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]