Hi

Further to my original 'Completely Stuck :-(' postings, (with major thanks to Nate
Haugo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>), I have found what I believe to be the problem. Trussing
the inetd binary and attempting to connect to the amanda service reveals the following
error:

auditsys(36, 0xFFBEF4A0)                        Err#22 EINVAL
write(2, " i n e t d :   s e t a u".., 20)      Err#96 EDESTADDRREQ

This is a failure of the auditsys() command, which is enabled due to the presence of
the BSM (Basic Security Module). According to Nate, removing the BSM fixes the
problem, however for some of us this isn't an option due to security policy etc.

The closest thing we've found to information on this is a bug in the SunSolve database
that mentions that the auditsys() function is not documented anywhere :-)

But at least we know what the problem is now ... somehow amandad causes inetd to fail
the auditing process, which leads to it being killed.

Any ideas?
- John