Hello all,

I've installed amanda-2.4.1p1 on a machine running Linux-2.2.16  to do the
backup on the Dell PowerVault 120T autochanger with 7 slots using DLT4000
tapes. This machine is used to back up some local filesystems as well as
filesystems from several other remote machines all running Solaris 8.

Occasionally the backups completed without problem, but more often at least
one (could go up to 3 out of 7) local filesystem failed with the [data timeout]
error, yes most peculiarly, all filesystems that failed are on the local
machine (which is also running amanda server). I have tried to increase
the READ_TIMEOUT value from the default 30mins to 60mins in server-src/dumper.c
but without any improvement.

Anytime a filesystem failed to backup, the tapedrive seemed to be idle forever
until the READ_TIMEOUT period lapsed, i.e no activity shown.

These are some typical error from the log:

 FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:

/-- spruce     sda1 lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
sendbackup: start [spruce:sda1 level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/sbin/dump
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/sbin/restore -f... -
sendbackup: info end
|   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Dec 12 02:38:03 2000
|   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
|   DUMP: Dumping /dev/sda1 (/) to standard output
|   DUMP: Label: none
|   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
|   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
|   DUMP: estimated 2556279 tape blocks.
|   DUMP: Volume 1 started at: Tue Dec 12 02:38:10 2000
|   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
|   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
\--------

/-- spruce     sdb1 lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]
sendbackup: start [spruce:sdb1 level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/sbin/dump
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/sbin/restore -f... -
sendbackup: info end
|   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Dec  5 11:10:37 2000
|   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
|   DUMP: Dumping /dev/sdb1 (/raid/home/00) to standard output
|   DUMP: Label: none
|   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
|   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
|   DUMP: estimated 6484620 tape blocks.
|   DUMP: Volume 1 started at: Tue Dec  5 11:11:38 2000
|   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
|   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
|   DUMP: 24.89% done, finished in 0:15
|   DUMP: 55.22% done, finished in 0:08
\--------

I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this before and give me some
help to resolve this problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

Hien Viet Lieu
Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering,
University of Queensland, QLD, Australia, 4072
Phone: (07) 3365-3394
EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]