ok:
i was trying to run tapetype as root with the bash shell but  my system
hanged.
i solved this problem running tapetype as bin:disk(my amanda user:group, i
don't know if it is important) and with the sh shell. This worked!!!.
i found this clue reading the amanda-user mailing list archives.

What i got was:

        define tapetype PV-100T-DDS4{
                comment "just produced by tapetype program"
                length 345151 mbytes
                filemark 13011472 kbytes
                speed 1692 kps
        }

I don't know if these data are coherent, they look a bit exagerated, don't
they???