The answer to this may be simpler than I think. The DDS3 tapes for the
amanda system I inherited have been in use for more than a year, so I
figured it was time to replace them. The question is exactly how do I do
that? I have a tapecycle of 20, a dumpcycle of 2 weeks and a runspercycle
of 10. The tapes are currently labeled DAILY00 through DAILY19. From
reading the amanda man page, it appears that I can label the next 20 tapes
DAILY20 through DAILY39 and then insert DAILY20 before the next backup.
After all 20 new tapes have been used once, the amanda system, or at least
the tapelist, will have forgotten about DAILY00 through DAILY19. Do I
understand this correctly?

I intend to recycle the old tapes for monthly archives. I figure after all
20 of the new tapes have been used once, I can safely relabel the old
tapes. Again, do I understand the system correctly?

Many thanks in advance!

Andrew Robinson

* Andrew W. Robinson                     | Voice:  +1 (504)-889-2784   *
* Computerized Processes Unlimited, Inc. | FAX:    +1 (504)-889-2799   *
* 4200 S. I-10 Service Rd., Suite 205    | E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]         *
* Metairie, LA 70001                     | WWW: http://www.cpu.com     *
*                  "Consulting System Integrators"                     *