Scenario:

I have a machine with a bunch of 18G disks and one raid5 arrray of 420G [1]

I have hooked up an LTO ultrium tapedrive to that machine
(100G uncompressed, 30Mbit/s transfer rate (that's 10G per hour
                                            uncompressed))
if I ufsdump [2] the raid array to that LTO drive, I get indeed almost 10G
per hour.

I was using amanda, with some space on that disk allocated as holding
space. And I was getting arund 6-7000 kps Xfer rate.

since all disks were local to my machine, I changed amanda.conf to have
- only 1 dumper
- not use any holding space

The next amanda run took over 18 hours to complete (a Xfer rate of less
than 1G per hour (350 - 400 kps)

Now I switched it back to
- multiple dumpers
- use holding disk (accept for the RAID array itself)
  and it looks im getting 6 - 7000 kps again.

Can anyone explain this to me ?

I was expecting that since all disks are local disks, I would be getting
roughly the same results in both setups.

[1] raid 5 and 1 hotspare, disks hotswappable .. had one disk die in there,
    replaced it whitout having to shut down the machine or the diskpack ..

[2] Yup, Im using solaris (2.6 and up )

On a related note:

I was trying to use gnutar iso ufsdump  to backup the raidarray , so that I
could use exclude files , and the tar estimate takes easily over an hour ,
the ufsdump based estimates are done much sooner (30-ish minutes).

Any clue ;)

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone +31-10.280.1515
Technical Support Jason Geosystems BV           Fax   +31-10.280.1511

      This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
  addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
       If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
         disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
      If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
           immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.