>Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:45:43 -0500
>From: "John R. Jackson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>i thought you needed to use
>>/dev/sdan where n is the number of the partition

>No, you don't.  You may use one of these forms, give the above comments
>about system configuration are taken into account:

>  sda<n>                   (the block device name)
>  rsda<n>                  (the "raw"/character device name)
>  /dev/sda<n>              (full path to the block device name)
>  /dev/rsda<n>             (full path to the "raw"/character device name)
>  /the/mount/point         (file system mount point)

>The exact syntax depends on the OS.

And I encourage folks who are in the position of deciding which form(s)
to use to consider the issue from the perspectives they are likely to have
when (note lack of conditional) they need to perform a restore.

For me, the answer was to use names that denote function, vs.
implementation -- in the case in point, I use mount points (now; I
had started with device names).  And that's probably a Good Thing in my
case, because some of the device names have changed with changing OS
(FreeBSD) levels.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill      [EMAIL PROTECTED]   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823

I need help: http://www.whistle.com/employment/employ-engg.html#K030391