We've been using amanda to backup 2 FreeBSD boxes and 5 PeeCee's for about
two years now. But it was time to upgrade our Unix boxes as well as the
Operating Systems. I managed to upgrade the two FreeBSD boxes to
FreeBSD-4.1.1 Release and FreeBSD 4.2 Release, and have the main "amanda"
box continue to back them up quite nicely with fresh installs of
everything, including Amanda 2.4.1

 Now it was time to upgrade the amanda server itself. FreeBSD 4.2 Release
and Amanda 2.4.1

 I've been trying everything to get it to backup the 5 PeeCee shares
without luck. It happily backs up the two Unix boxes but will not touch the
PeeCee's.

 I've been playing in the /usr/ports/misc/amanda24 directory... figured it
would be a breeze to compile out of the ports. The dependency programs are
all there and Amanda compiles, and works basically, except for the PeeCee
shares. I did install Samba first, and it's working fine.

 I edited /usr/ports/misc/amanda24/Makefile to include some options I
wanted:

CONFIGURE_ARGS= --libexecdir=${PREFIX}/libexec/amanda \
                --with-amandahosts --with-fqdn \
                --with-dump-honor-nodump \
                --with-smbclient=/usr/local/bin/smbclient \
                --with-samba-user=samba --with-config=eagle --without-clien
t \
                --with-user=amanda --with-group=operator

 And I do a "make && make install" and you'd think everything is lovely.

 If I "su amanda" and run '/usr/local/sbin/amcheck eagle' the check goes
just fine.

 Now, if I edit /usr/local/etc/amanda/eagle/disklist and uncomment out the
PC shares, I've been getting a few different comments, mainly:

WARNING: amanda: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 3 hosts checked in 30.295 seconds, 1 problem found.

 I've also got "selfcheck timed out" instead of "host down"

 I can look at the unix clients and the /tmp/amanda/amandad.debug file
looks good (and the unix clients are working fine).

 It's almost like the --with-smbclient option isn't being used.

 I've read the FAQ and looked at the section "selfchick timed out" but
nothing applies to the smbclient shares.

 As I've tinkered with the Makefile, I've gone back into
/usr/ports/misc/amanda24 and done a:

make clean
make deinstall
make && make install

 But I still have no success with smbclient shares and I'm at a loss....
any suggestions from the list?

Thanks

Gerry.