[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Karakas) writes:

[...]

> dd if=/dev/nst0 of=/tmp/dattest ibs=32k obs=32k
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> (some implementations of dd may need an explicit setting of input and
> output block sizes, so don't just use bs=32k for the moment).

It's worse. With blocksize 0 I get the data and the error, with bs=32k
I get just the error and 0 blocks read. This applies to ibs/obs=32k
and bs=32k. Amanda should set the block size anyway.

The drive is LVD on a LVD controller with an LVD cable and with an LVD
terminator, and I've read and written to it successfully. SCSI errors
should pop up all over the place while writing/reading with a
hardware/cabling fault. It's not the case, so I've to suspect
firmware.

Johannes Niess