FYI, I looked over your script. "sleep" commands aren't a valid solution,
because every drive and every system is different. It's even worse if the
unit does auto-cleaning. This is a hack, rather than a fix.

You also left about half a dozen real bugs in the script -- if no tape is
loaded and you run amcheck, it'll never see #1; if the changer thinks a
tape is loaded but one isn't, it won't see the first tape it loads, etc.

Anyway, I'm thinking of incorporating your "bs=32k" option to DD into my
script, but I have a question here ...

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 01:13:33PM -0700, Robert Weber wrote:
> I should have a semaphore of sorts around the dd's by the end of the day
> anyway.  I haven't tried the script from Joe Rhett, but if it incorperates
> the:
>
> ! DD="/usr/bin/dd bs=32k"

Out of curiousity, what exactly are the DD comands supposed to accomplish?

I simply removed it from our local copy. We've lost no functionality, and
the system has been working fine for 2-3 months since that change. I really
think the DD commands were leftover from the script this descended from,
and don't have any relevance to actual functionality.

--
Joe Rhett                                         Chief Technology Officer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                      ISite Services, Inc.

PGP keys and contact information:          http://www.noc.isite.net/Staff/