Hello, I've been getting weird errors on my nightly amanda job and saw
that there was a problem.

I currently use an EXABYTE EZ 17 Autoloader drive and had used the
TAPETYPE value given from this email group.  After a few weird errors and
thinking that I had fixed them, I finally fell short when I got another
error.

I'm stuck because when I run the amdump manually Amanda runs without
hickups. When it runs on its own, it craps out on me and dumps the
remainder of the backups onto a holding disk.

I thought maybe my tapetype was wrong, so I ran it and produced the
following result: Note that this is on a 60/150 GB tape for a mammoth2

[root@quake tape-src]# tapetype -f /dev/nst1
wrote 110526 32Kb blocks in 338 files in 735 seconds (Input/output error)
wrote 102364 32Kb blocks in 628 files in 1040 seconds (Input/output error)
define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
    comment "just produced by tapetype program"
    length 3750 mbytes
    filemark 900 kbytes
    speed 3980 kps
}

Why am I getting I/O errors? I'm really confused. I get no errors when I
run amanda manually, but when it runs automagically I get this input out
error.

On amanda's email report i get:

Subject: **** AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR January 29, 2001

These dumps were to tape EXA06
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: Input/ouput error]]/
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanada expects to use is: EXA07.

This has happend to all the tapes I have tried so far, I cannot believe
that I got a batch of bad tapes.

Tanniel Simonian