getting estimates with gnuatr takes forever and then some.
Amanda also comes with a little tool called calcsizes that
1) seems to be fatser than gnutar
2) can do mutlipel estimates in one run.

Currently getting an estimate on the big disk takes 3 -4 hours
and that's mainly because for every levbel, a new gnutar is being run.

So to get estimates for a level 0, 1 and 2 run I see amanda doing
get gnutar estimate for level 0 (this takes over an hour)
when this has finished
get gnutar estimate for level 1 (this takes over an hour)
when this has finished
get gnutar estimate for level 2 (this takes over an hour)

total time, close to 4 hours.

using calcsize, I should be able to do something like
calcsize GNUTAR lto /whopper/home 0 0 1 980801273 2 980851273
and get the estimates for level 0 1 and 2 all at once.

So my question is,
How do I tell amanda to use calcsize ?

I didn't find anything in docs/* man/* or config/*
    %grep calcsize docs/* man/* config/*
    docs/WHATS.NEW:"calcsize" and "runtar" therefore must be installed setuid
    root.  I've made

If this is not possible, can this please be taken as a serious wishlist for
Amanda 2.5 ?

Also, if this is not possible, does anyone have any other suggestions on
getting a speedup on the estimates ?

The sendsize.c file menations a maxdumps= variable ..
How can this be set ?

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone +31-10.280.1515
Technical Support Jason Geosystems BV           Fax   +31-10.280.1511

      This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
  addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
       If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
         disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
      If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
           immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.