Hi,
i know it is possible, i'm doing it for some packages,
but you need to know very good what you are doing.
For example i have seen alien messing up all
permisions for the files in an rpm-package completly,
making the resulting .dpkg completly unusable.
And with rpm you loose all dependencies....
But thats a little off-topic i think.... ;-)
Christoph