Hi,

i hope you tried the command
  dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k skip=1 | tar -xvf -
and not the one you have in your mail....

as you are running linux, try pulling the image to disk with
  dd if=/dev/nst0 of=file01
and then use
  dd if=file01 bs=32k skip=1 | tar xvf -
on it.
dd seems to have problems with some scsi-tapes and the skip option.
hope it helps
Christoph

Jerry Lynde schrieb:

> mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind