Several months ago I set up Amanda under Slackware Linux 7.0 (now using
kernel 2.41) and had everything running fine, without issues.  A few days
ago, I started getting messages saying Amanda was unable to run..

--
ERROR: /dev/st0: not an amanda tape (expecting a new tape)
--

So I tried re-labelling several new tapes using AMLABEL, but it did failed
with the following error:.

--
root@monitor:/usr/local/sbin# su amanda -c './amlabel amanda.conf
w2obackup01'

Let me re-iterate, the configuration has not been changed since the day I
installed it and had it working for 3 months.  Now this error occurs, and
I'm at the end of my rope. I've checked the archives to no avail.  I am
using the latest version of Amanda.  I tried switching the device to
non-rewinding (/dev/nst0 as opposed to /dev/st0) and it errors out telling
me the tape is write-protected - which it is not.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

-- Steve.