On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 04:31:36PM -0500, John R. Jackson wrote:

> >The self check goes OK, the estimates go OK, but the backup fails with
> >data timeout messages.  I have to say, this client has never before
> >been in any amanda config, I was waiting till the upgrade to introduce
> >it.
> >I am attaching the debug files, inparticular sendbackup.debug which
> >seems to have died before completing the run.
>
> Hmmmm.  "data timeout" says Amanda waited a long time without getting
> any data at all from the client.
>
> What Amanda processes, if any, are still running on the client?

None at all (started by amanda that is)

> According to sendbackup*debug, sendbackup (and amandad) is still running
> the GNU tar.  If it's not still there, something killed it.

Actually, /usr/local/bin/gnutar is a wrapper (to stop and start databases)
so I have stuck some debugging in there, and I am pretty confident that
tar is never even executed.

> If you have process accounting turned on, it may tell you what signal
> they were killed with (if that's what happened).

OK, thanks, I'll give it a go.

--
  _          __         CSC Computer Sciences Ltd.  Tel : +44 1622 622342
 /_|   _/   (  _  '_//  Pegasus Place, Lodge Rd,    Mob : +44 7714 072031