On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, John R. Jackson wrote:

> >Well, I've tried the 'sst' driver and it works only slightly better than
> >the 'sgen' driver. With the 'sst' driver I can send as many 'mtx inquiry'
> >commands as I like and they all work.
>
> What about "mtx -f /dev/rsst5 status"?

No dice:

# mtx -f /dev/rsst5 status
mtx: No such device or address
mtx: Request Sense: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
mtx: READ ELEMENT STATUS Command Failed

> >Anyway, has anyone done much testing with the 'sst' driver in SunOS
> >5.8? It seems the bulk of people tend to use Linux or Windows so I guess
> >Solaris testing is not the primary focus of the Amanda development group.
>
> Ummm, you've got that twisted a bit.  I use only Solaris and AIX and I'm
> an Amanda developer, but don't use any of the Amanda changers (it's a long
> story :-), and also do not use mtx.  So it's the mtx testing that might
> be a bit behind, not Solaris.  And for that, maybe you should ask the
> mtx people since it's their program that's not working here, not Amanda.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll pass my problems reports on to them and see
what happens.

> Be that as it may, I have a robot and sst on Solaris 2.6 and should at
> least be able to get some more debugging output into the code for you
> to try.  What version of mtx are you using?

I had a HP autochanger working (as far as the robotics go) with the 'sst'
code from the 2.4.1p1 distribution before, but the autochanger itself was
broken. 8-)

This ADIC-1200D autochanger is obviously responding differently.

> FYI, 1.10 works with inquiry for me but fails (I/O error) for status.
> Version 1.11pre2 doesn't work at all (I/O error).  I'm pretty sure I can
> get at least those things to work for me, and possibly in the process,
> get the going for you.

If you get some results, I'm more than happy to try things out here with
my setup.

I'm going to try out the stctl code tonight and have a go at using
that. It's been too long between backups. 8-)

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Dewick. Send email to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
 Point your web client at "www.sunshack.org" or "www.sunshack.net" to access my