Why not?  Have you seen/had problems with recent versions of gnu tar, or
Sun's bundled tar?  I have seen problems with versions of tars
interacting with each other, but not when using the same version/vendor.
I do find it a bit strange that you would trust dump over tar regardless
of the comments made by Mr. Torvalds as far as data integrity goes.  I
definitely would prefer to use dump as well over tar, becuase of the speed
issues and the modification date issues, but if indeed what Linus says
is true.....

-Dan