* Bernhard R. Erdmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Thu, May 03, 2001 at 07:34:01PM +0200)
> > Or you need to use the modified sendsize that uses calcsize to calculate
> > the sizes ..
> >
> > calcsize can do estimates at about 500G per hour (and that's full dump,
> > incremantal current level and incremental next level).
>
> Gerhard, what is calcsize? Is it a part of Amanda?

calcsize is amandas alternative way of calculating dumpestimates.
Im not sure what the status of it is (I think it's no longer officially
supported) but it rules.

John, Alexandre
Is there any chance of getting calcsize actively supprted in 2.5 ?
With a configure option to determine whether you want to:
- always use dump/tar
- use dump for dump estimates, calcsize for tar estimates
- use tar for tar estimates, calcsize for dump estimates
- always use calcsize

Im using calcsize for a couple of months (half a year ? longer ?) and never
had any problem with it (Solaris ufsdump and tar, linux tar only).
SGI's xfsdump is incredibly fast, so Im using that iso calcsize.
I only have one SunOS box, and that has so little disk to backup taht
calcsize would be a few minutes faster than dump so I didn;t bother with
that.

I did some extensive testign way back when, and found that calcsize wa
within 1% of the estimates given by ufsdump/tar (on quiet filesystems)
on busy filesystems the difference between calcsizes estimate and dump was
the same as ebtween two succesive dumpestimates.

The moment a ufsdump/tar estimate takes more than 3 hours, the estimated
size will not refelct the actual size anyway.

Currently listening to:  the hum of my computer

        Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O  Standing above the crowd, he had a voice so strong and loud
 =`\<,                  we'll miss him