"John R. Jackson" wrote:

> > Scanning /the/holdingdisk ...
> >  20010328: found Amanda directory. (*)
> >  20010416: found Amanda directory.
> > (*) these directories are empty.
>
> Just for my own curiosity, why are they still there if they are empty?

 I don't know why exactly, sorry. According to your question, I
 shouldn't wait for them to be deleted automatically!
 They look rather old and I was maybe performing some tests that
 failed at this time.

> > the 'ls' command only shows me a very small part
> > of what is supposed to be backed up, I mean only a
> > few directories & files out of hundreds.
>
> I take it you're using GNU tar?  What version?  If it's older than
> 1.13.17 (even better, 1.13.19), the index files may be corrupt.

 that's a good guess, on my client machine (AIX) this is gtar 1.13 !

> Go to your index directory and look at one of the files.  If each line
> has a very large number on it, that's a symptom of a broken tar.

here is a sample of the gnutar list for 1.13 (looks bad) :

2555905 43008 ./kretzsch/mail/communication_OBS
2555905 40960 ./kretzsch/mail/SOHO-news

and a sample of gnutar list for 1.13.17 on my tape server (looks
better!):

2070 407572 ./doute/Missions_inst/NIMS/Data
2070 407569 ./doute/Missions_inst/NIMS/Tools

so the problem is now pointed out, thanks!

now it involves another question :
Is there any document dealing with the advantages/disadvantages
of using gtar or the system's dump/restore?

I've read in the Amanda docs that 'gtar' provides me with
exclude-lists,  but 'restore'  has an interactive restoration mode
(restore -i) that may  be useful when using it with amrestore.

I also believe that a gtar archive could be extracted from nearly
any platform, but a classic dump archive won't because it's
OS specific. (true/false?)

thanks again for helping,

Pierre.

* Laboratoire de Planetologie de Grenoble
* http://lpg.obs.ujf-grenoble.fr
* Bat D de Physique, BP53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9 /
FRA
* tel. 04.76.51.41.55 , fax. 04.76.51.41.46
* e-mail. [EMAIL PROTECTED]