On Mon, 7 May 2001, John R. Jackson wrote:

> >... the backup of my file server parition
> >is failing with a rather uninformative error message:
> >
> >ironwood   /mnt/files lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
>
> There should have been other messages besides this one, perhaps at the
> top of the report or in the NOTES section.

There are but they are useless in diagnosing why its failing.  Here's what
I've got as far as messages:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  ironwood   /mnt/files lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

NOTES:
  planner: Forcing full dump of ironwood:/mnt/files as directed.

> >...  I exclude a number of directories because
> >they are backed up with my Macintosh backup program and sendsize
> >calculates a size of 15Gb to be backed up.  The file server partition also
> >holds the amanda holding disk directory.  ...
>
> If you're trying to back up the file system that has the holding disk
> area, you should use "holdingdisk no" in the dumptype to force it to go
> direct to tape.

Actually, I was using an exclude file to exclude the amanda directory.
I've switched it over to a "holdingdisk no" config.  Hopefully a direct
dump to tape will solve this problem. [Update - the backup ran over night
with this option:  the exact same messages were output as listed above].

I'm curious what is causing this though.  My debug files show nothing out
of the ordinary.  There are no errors listed and the sendsize estimate
completes fine.  The only thing that doesn't happen is sendbackup is never
executed for this filesystem.  Its as if its silently failing and it
couldn't be happening to a worse partition than my main file server/home
directory partition.  Ugh.

Kevin

--
Kevin M. Myer