Also Sprach Dan Wilder:

> Please forgive the cross-post.  It happens to be on a topic that
> gets discussed in amanda-users quite often, not to mention being
> a particular hot button of my own.
>
> Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:43:50 -0700
> From: Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Dump considered harmful
>
> "Trashing your filesystem with dump"
> http://www.lwn.net/2001/0503/kernel.php3
>
> Why 'dump' is not a safe backup tool for Linux.  Short Linux Weekly News
> article with a quote from Linus.
>
> --
>
> -Mike

So there are 3 issues involved:

1) The usual problems with dump on a live filesystem.
2) The bug in kernel 2.4.x SMP
3) The incompatibility between the 2.4 page cache and dump.

I consider the discussion somewhat moot since ext2 dump was
never stable enough to be trusted anyway.

Does the above also apply to XFS and the xfsdump/xfsrestore
port from IRIX to Linux?

--
C. Chan < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key.